Saturday, October 25, 2008

I like to move it, move it.

Each workday, during my 6 km route to the tech school where I teach HTML/CSS and basic programming skills, I join in a modern Danish version of the 'running of the bulls' - a mad dash from one side of the city to the other with hordes of other cyclists.

As with the Spanish counterpart, the route has its share of excitement, danger, and humor. Cyclists talking on mobile phones, slow-moving cargo/children carriers, lane-changers (who don't look behind them before moving), red-light jumpers, wobbly-riders, and people who move left before turning right all make bids to give you an early heart attack.

What's worse is that, while riding, people pass by (or are passed by me) and start asking me questions about the recumbent trike I ride. This causes them to take their eyes off the road to focus on me which raises the chance of them running into another cyclist or other obstruction, or me!

Come on people! Have the sense to at least wait until we are stopped before asking questions! And there is a website link on the trike.

Another thing that ticks me off are the people that I've passed who catch up to me at a stop light and move around me to get in front so that they can get through the intersection first. Hello brainstem? Now I have to do it all over again, which wastes my time and upsets any rhythm I try to achieve because I am faster than you - otherwise I would not have passed you the first time, right? What is even more funny is that I often pass them again in the intersection, making them look even more foolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment